Getting Fit 101: I'm Choosing Better Food Options!
So the New Year is here and WELL underway and not stopping for anyone! If you are like most of us, you've probably reflected on a few things that you could have done MUCH better. BUT, trust me, there are some things that you excelled in, even if you tried to down play it!
HOUSTON survived Hurricane HARVEY...man, that was rough. We're here and I promised myself that I would treat my body MUCH better than I did in 2017. I definitely said YOLO, way too many times....with food. One piece of fried chicken too many, one more donut than I should have had, "treating" myself way too often! 2018 is the year of a new "mindset."
I'm challenging myself, and you, to not only make sure it tastes good, but that it IS good for our bodies. I went back to the basics...whole grains, leafy green vegetables, nuts, seeds, berries, and lean proteins. Although I'm treating my body better, that doesn't mean it has to be boring! We are going to step outside the box and get creative with our food while still being nutritionally sound AND tasty!
First Up! Ditch the Pre Packaged Stuff!
The most effective way to really know what you're eating, is to make it! So before you just grab that bag off the shelf, lets gather up the ingredients and make it ourselves. MOST times, I'm sure you can beat that price too! The recipe below is adapted from The Food Network.
What You'll Need:
- 3 cups Rolled Oats
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 cup HEB Cran Slam Mix
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, nuts ,and brown sugar.
- In another small bowl, combine maple syrup, honey, oil, and salt. Combine both mixtures and distribute onto one sheet pan. Cook for an hour, checking occasionally to ensure even color.
- After an hour, increase the oven temp to 350 degrees and let it brown an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Add in the cran slam mix
- Allow to cool
- My favorite way to have this is on top of vanilla Greek yogurt with fresh berries!
- Simon Says, EAT!